Friday, July 30, 2010

Weird Market

I must admit that I never saw the point of Apple's iPad.  To me, the main reason is lack of "openness".  When I spend money buying a gadget, it is me who decide how to use that gadget - not Steve Jobs or anybody else.  I am for example not a very big fan of flash, but still - a lot of web pages use flash and if I am browsing these sites I want to see that flash (latest example was Tour de France's live timing).

In terms of being open I very much look forward to Meego based devices, but until that becomes a reality (probably late this year although I have already booted Meego on my netbook) Android is definitely the best choice.  And right now China is pumping out Android based tablets by the hundreds (models that is).  Of these devices some try to pretend they are iPads while others are just Android based tablets.

Yesterday I decided that my curiosity was big enough for me to get one, so I took a walk down to the local IT Mecca: Plaza Low Yat.  I walked around for nearly an hour there and I was quite surprised that I only found ONE place that had ONE Android based tablet available ("aPad iRobot" - and I shit you not that is the name).  What is weird is the fact that there are iPads just about everywhere.  There must have been at least 200 shops selling these hugely overpriced devices while only one shop even made an attempt to sell an Android based device.

Unfortunately I couldn't agree with them on the price.  I know this particular model cost around USD 110 if you buy it online and they wanted RM 800 (that is more than USD 200).  So I am still without an Android based tablet (hint: anybody got the Orphan M16 aPad in KL I'll buy it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment