Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Malaysian Marketing (or: Fucked in Broad Daylight)

I just experienced another brilliant example of Malaysian marketing.

I was having lunch at Leo's Cafe (Plaza OUG) - a place i was visiting quite regularly when I stayed in OUG - when I noticed this sticker on the table:



At the time I didn't think much about it, but when I received my receipt I did notice that it was in no way itemized. Here's the receipt next to the sticker:



At this point I was thinking, well, these guys obviously are trying to run an honest business and what the hell, RM 200 will get me quite a nice lunch, so I decided to call the first number on the sticker. Surprise surprise, I got an incredible rude and grumpy Chinese guy on the line who informed me that if I wanted an itemized receipt I could just ask for it and the sticker was "a printing error" - and then he hung up on me.  He might as well have told me to fuck off really.

What is the point of the sticker if I still have to ask. It's mad, it's wasting my time and needless to say that the result is exactly the opposite than intended - Leo's Cafe have lost a customer for good rather than gaining customers.  What I really don't get is - why go through the trouble of printing those stickers when they are not going to honor their promise.  Why ask their customers to help if that help is not appreciated?  It is completely and utterly insane.

I can only encourage everybody to avoid places that piss that badly on their customers.  Don't go there!

Update Aug 2010

I finally had enough waiting for their response.  Originally I called all the numbers and send a link to this blog to the gmail address.  Now I called the 03 number again (spoke to a Mr. Khoo) and made it clear for them if they did NOT live up to their promise, I would file a complaint to the Ministry of Domestic Trade (link here).  I just discovered that they have an online filing system, so if I don't get a response today I will file an official complaint - then we'll see.

I can add that the stickers as of yesterday was STILL on the tables in Leo's Cafe OUG.

I believe this falls under section 10 in the Consumer Protection Act of 1999 - regarding False or Misleading Representation or section 14 which deals with Gift, Prices and Free Offers with no intention of providing it.

Update #2

I just got a call from a Ms. Carnie - who asked for my address and promised to send the 200 ringgit meal voucher immediately.  Will be interesting to see if that actually happens.

Update Aug. 17

Ah well - that call would seem to have gone to "let's see if we can ignore it to death" mode.  I still haven't received a voucher.  Guess I will just have to fill out that online form.  That is TWO times that company has lied to me.  Cheat me once - shame on you - cheat me twice - shame on me.

I wrote an SMS to Ms. Carnie:

I still haven't received any voucher - so I assume I should go ahead with the complaint to the Ministry of Domestic Trade.
To which I immediately received the following response:

Mr. Thomsen, as the voucher need my admin to process and wil send by post by this week.  Once posted wil be email the post laju reciept to u. Thanks for the remind.

Update Aug. 31

Well - reminder or not - still nothing - so I'll move ahead with the complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment