Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pretty Pointless (or: Mad Marketing Hype)

Just noticed this electrical plug:


Excuse me - an "unbreakable fused" power plug!  Well - that's pretty damn pointless isn't it?  I thought the whole point of a fuse was that it would break the circuit in case of an over load.  Unbreakable fused - well - that basically means unfused - a basic plug in other words.

I couldn't help myself but take it apart and inside I found.....


Well, don't know about you - but that looks like a normal breakable fuse to me.  Not sure what is so unbreakable about it.  It's a fuse.  Put more current through it than it was designed for and it will break.  It's that simple and no marketing hype will change that.

2 comments:

  1. Unbreakable is Fire Retardant Polycarbonate (Unbreakable)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine was melting today in my bathroom. It’s for the water heater. I could smell burning plastic for weeks, only today it was really strong. It melted through the housing right around the fuse and the pin closest to the fuse is embedded into the socket.

    ReplyDelete