Monday, August 29, 2011

From Bad to Much Worse

The last 10 years or so have propelled (pun intended) Air Asia from nothing to huge and in general I kind of like them.  I understand the concept of no frill and low cost and it works fine.

Except - for some bizarre reason - they can't seem to get the in-flight "menu" quite right.  I guess I fly Air Asia perhaps once every 2 month or so in average and they always change the menu completely between flights, and some of the choices are quite odd really.  I remember at one point they didn't have coffee on the menu (sure you could get that horrible 3-in-1 stuff - but plain coffee - nope).  Two things are in common of all these menus:

1. They are quite limited
2. Without exception - 80 % of the items are "out of stock"

I am not joking - they are always out of everything.  Take plain Nescafe for example.  It weighs next to nothing.  They must have a pretty good idea how many they need.  How on earth is it possible that they run out on the SECOND flight of the day?  And this is my experience - about half the times I fly Air Asia they don't have plain coffee, but only some disgusting pre-mixed sugar stuff.

Anyway - I started this post by claiming they went from bad to worse, and let me illustrate that with my latest experience only about 5 days ago.  Afternoon flight from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket - and I hadn't had any lunch whatsoever, so I was quite hungry. The first page of the menu looked like this:


Now, that actually looked pretty good, so I tried to order it.  Unfortunately - well you guessed it - Out of stock.

Then I flipped to page two:


The Vegetarian Briyani seemed ok, but well you guessed right again - out of stock.

Then I went to the next item, the Tandoori Chicken Wrap - out of stock.

By this time I was getting slightly annoyed and flipped to the next page:


I didn't really read it much - but just said: "OK, I'll just have a sandwich of some sort", thinking - sandwiches they must have in stock.  The flight attendant lit up and said: "Sure, you can have a Chicken sandwich" to which I replied: "Fine".

THEN - and only then - she added: "But you will have to get Pringles too, because Chicken sandwich only come as a set".  WTF?  I flipped to the next page, and surely:


I went: "But I don't like Soy Milk under any circumstances, and I don't eat Pringles, they make me fatter than I already am, so can't I just have a plain sandwich".  The flight attendants response was: "Only the vegetarian sandwich, that is the only one we sell alone".

Now, I find that fairly idiotic really, but what the hell - by this time anything, and I do mean anything, would do, so I told the flight attendant: "OK, just give me a vegetarian sandwich".  Her reply, and I bet you didn't see this one coming: "Out of stock".  What the hell - she suggested it herself!  What's the point - just teasing me with all the stuff I couldn't get?

By this time I really was getting annoyed, so I went: "Look, you're pretty much out of everything, why don't you just give me a Chicken sandwich?", to which she replied: "Sure, but I will have to charge you RM 1315 for it since it only comes as a set".  I somewhat strongly suggested that she took that up with her supervisor - or whatever they are called on a plane.  2 minutes later she returned and said:

"Ok, I'll sell you a chicken sandwich for RM 9, but ONLY because we're out of Pringles"

Priceless :)  A long argument about a set deal that they didn't have in the first place.  And she actually needed to use their own incompetence as an excuse to sell me a bloody sandwich.

How is it possible to screw up this consistent - even on a no frill low cost airline?

2 comments:

  1. Well, my ex girlfriend works as a stewardess for Air Asia Indonesia. She used to pack her Air Asia issued suitcase with her own stock of whatever was on the in flight menu. She would sell her own stock to customers, and double her salary each month. It was quite a cool system, until she was caught. Oh well, must not've been sharing enough with her supervisor, because the next day she's doing it all over again.

    From what I know, Malaysian staff are paid quite well so they don't need to set up their own onboard shop, which is probably why there is NO stock on Malaysia staffed flights.

    I quite like the industriousness of Indonesian people. If the boss is too lazy to provide good service, the staff will, and profit from it. Kind of equitable I think.

    By the way, I love the short skirts and etc of the air asia stewardesses. They taste much better than the inflight menu items too :)

    R..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - the airline definitely shot themselves in the foot when they constantly run out of things. Idiotic.

    ReplyDelete