Thursday, April 15, 2010

Funny Business Strategy

Just had quite a funny conversation in Low Yat.  First I should probably take a second to explain what Plaza Low Yat is.  It is the biggest IT shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur.  Something like 6 floors with nothing but IT related products.  The problem is and have always been that they got 2-300 shops selling EXACTLY the same at EXACTLY the same price.  Not a single shop there has got anything out of the ordinary and I am fairly sure that they all use the same one or two suppliers.

I have for a while been on the lookout for Hauppauge's HD-DVR (a video capture device).  For some reason however, Hauppauge have completely disappeared from all the shops, so this have turned out to be a bit tricky.

One shop in Low Yat specializes in AV equipment, it is even called Ace AV Solution (yes solution - not solutions).  I asked the owner of this shop and he just went "no, don't have lah".  Naive as I am I tried to push it a bit, going: "Well, you're supposed to know about AV equipment, why don't you get?" and his response was that he was so busy.  I asked him: Is business good at the moment and he went: "Oh no, business no good lah".  My final comment was something along the line of: "Well, perhaps if you bothered calling your uncle in Singapore and have him ship up the product that I am willing to buy you would make more money".

Needless to say that nobody in Malaysia could be bothered, so I just ordered it from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment