Sunday, February 21, 2010

Worst Food Ever!

Malaysians are often quite proud of their food, which I really don't understand since in general it isn't all that fantastic. The problem, as I see it, is not the dishes as such. Basically Malaysian food doesn't really exist. As the country itself it's a melting pot of different cultures, and most of the so called Malay dishes are of Indonesian origin and it all has strong Indian and Chinese influence. I like Indian food as long as it is not too greasy, and I like Chinese food as long as I can identify what's in it with a reasonable certainty.

The problem with Malaysian food is the quality. No matter if it is the basic food court or a five star restaurant, the quality of the food and preparation is quite appaling. The reason for this is that Malaysians does not complain. It's an evil circle - they are so used to being served absolute rubbish that they don't complain and because they don't complain they keep receiving rubbish.

Those who know me are well aware of my opinions on this topic and honestly I thought I couldn't be surprised any longer. But yesterday I got surprised anyway.

Let me start about 4 or 5 month ago. A friend of mine showed me a place called Look Out Point - and the view was indeed breathtaking. It is located only about 10 minutes drive out of Jalan Ampang and yet it's got a great view of the entire KL skyline. On top of the hill a 4 floor wooden structure had been erected - which offered an even better view. The place was quiet and that together with the view made it a quite nice experience.


View Larger Map

Fast forward to yesterday. A friend of mine and his girlfriend was in town, so I decided that it was probably a good idea to show them the place. Unfortunately what was 4 month ago a quite nice place has now been turned into a circus. Plastic tables and chairs everywhere. Only access to the tower if buying an overpriced set dinner and not a single spot to enjoy the view.




Much against my better judgement we did decide to give the food a shot. What horror:

The "Penne Meatballs" consisted of a pile of spaghetti with two tiny and completely uneatable something and a tomato sauce that must have received a generous amount of sugar. I did not eat it.

Then there was fish and chips. The fish tasted of chicken mostly and it was soaked on brown black pepper gravy. Fish and chips with brown gravy?????

Then there was the most watery mushroom sauce I have ever experienced and everything else was soaked in grease.

It quit simply constitutes the most foul food I have ever experienced and that is quite a statement. I urge you all: DON'T GO THERE!

I can't comprehend how Malaysia can expect tourism if they continue to spoil nice places like this. Whoever gave these morons permission to run an eating place at that location should be sacked on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment